Our Bancroft Flighters are exact reproductions of early production Flighters. There are many differences between original Flighters depending on when they were produced.
Traits of early war Flighters:
- Dark gold satin lining in OD #51 caps; khaki satin lining in Khaki #1 caps.
- Heat stamped Flighter logo on sweatband.
- The words “BY BANCROFT” below the sweatband logo (pre-May 1943) and “BY BANCROFT Visor Pat. Pend.” (post-May 1943).
- Red, white, and blue diamond shaped label on satin lining (also in some late war Flighters).
- Plain, unfinished leather on the underside of the visor.
- Sweatband color is usually tan.
Traits of mid-late war Flighters:
- Yellow, tan/silver, and olive drab satin lining in OD#51 caps; yellow satin lining in Khaki #1 caps.
- Gold or silver (rare) embossed Flighter logo on sweatband.
- The words “BY BANCROFT U.S. PAT. NO. 2369275” below the sweatband logo (post-February 1945).
- Black printed circular label on satin lining.
- Underside of the visor is finished with a piece of suede.
- Sweatband color is usually a dark shade of russet brown.
In addition to these differences, there are others such as the style of mohair braid, color and size of the metal eyelets, pattern of ventilation holes in the sweatband, and interior construction of the caps. To make things even more confusing, the original caps were often manufactured at times using two different styles or patterns of certain materials simultaneously (i.e., only the diamond shaped red, white, and blue labels were used on early war caps, but this style of label also appears randomly on mid-late war caps).
Bancroft Flighter, Khaki #1 Tropical Worsted Wool
The Bancroft Flighter is the king of crusher caps. It is the cap that revolutionized military headwear with the introduction of the soft, flexible, single-ply visor, ushering in an era of aces and aircrews who were identified as much by their Flighter caps as their pilot wings.
Do not be fooled by caps sold by others. Marking a generic reproduction cap Flighter does not make it a true Bancroft Flighter. Our Flighters are the only ones patterned from original Bancroft Flighter crusher caps and are the only authorized reproductions offered anywhere.
Made in the U.S.A.